This post shares how to make easy and healthy mushroom soup without cream. This mushroom soup is perfect for all diets, as it is dairy-free, grain-free, and low-fat.
Did you know that you can make an entirely delicious mushroom soup without any kind of cream?
This healthy mushroom soup is cream-free and also tastes amazing.
What makes this the best mushroom recipe?
- It’s very simple to make – just some light vegetable chopping, which you can cut down if you buy the pre-sliced mushrooms.
- You can make this mushroom soup recipe in one pot.
- It’s packed with nutritional value – filled with mushrooms, celery, carrots, potatoes, garlic, and onion.
- It’s healthy for all kinds of diets – it’s creamless, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, corn-free, soy-free, and low-fat. Just a drop of avocado oil!
- Did I mention it’s kid-friendly? My daughter loves this mushroom soup.
Here’s how to make this easy and healthy mushroom soup recipe from scratch.
1. Add avocado oil to the bottom of a large stock pot.
2. Sauté garlic and onions over medium high heat until translucent, stirring frequently to allow browning without burning
3. Add mushrooms. Sauté another 5-10 mins until mushrooms start to “sweat” and release their liquid.
4. Add carrots, celery, potatoes and veggie broth.
5. Gently simmer about 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
Just a note on vegetable broths: Finding a clean broth can be tough. Most contain citric acid, natural flavors, or poor quality oils. As of the date of this post, Pacific Organic Mushroom broth and Engine 2 Vegetable Stock are the cleanest brands on the market. Always read the ingredients as companies frequently change their recipes!
I’m not used to cooking with mushrooms. How do I prepare them?
If you aren’t familiar with cooking with mushrooms, you can buy the pre-packaged, pre-sliced mushrooms to make it easy. However, pre-sliced mushrooms only last a day or two in the fridge. You’ll want to use them before they get dark spots. Just wash them, and they are ready to cook!
If you would like to buy whole mushrooms, here’s a great video on how to clean and cut mushrooms.
What goes with mushroom soup?
What can I eat with mushroom soup that isn’t bread?
You don’t need to eat bread with soups. Other crunchy sides are great – such as crispy oven-roasted potatoes or French fries. Everyone also loves a soup & salad combination.
Will kids eat mushroom soup?
Yes! Most people think kids love easy and often unhealthy foods such as macaroni and cheese and chicken fingers, but soups are a wonderful choice for kids. This mushroom soup is packed with nutrients and tastes amazing. The more you expose kids to different foods, the more they’ll take to it. You’ll definitely be surprised at some of the foods they’ll start to love!
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you love the mushroom soup, you’ll love this “cream” of cauliflower soup just as much! It’s velvety smooth and delicious.
Soups and salads are nourishing combinations. Here’s a recipe for Rachel’s Favorite Salad that I hope you’ll love just as much as I do!