Elderberry syrup is a great natural remedy for colds & flu. It can prevent or shorten their duration. Take it at the first sign of infection or it can be used as a preventative supplement during cold & flu season.
Adults and children will love the taste! It's so yummy, you could use it as a drizzle over dessert or "nice cream:.
Check the link at the bottom of the recipe for my trusted brand of dried elderberries!
- 2/3 cup dried black elderberries
- 3 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (can sub powdered ginger)
- 1/2-3/4 cup raw honey (sweeten to your taste preference)
- 1 stick cinnamon (or 1 tsp) (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cloves (optional)
- 1 each star anise (optional)
Add the elderberries, ginger, spices & water to a small sauce pot. Don't add the honey yet (or you'll cook out all of the live healing properties)!
Cook on medium high heat until gently boiling.
Allow to gently bubble until volume is reduced in half, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Allow to cool for a few minutes.
Pour the mixture through a strainer, pressing all the liquid out of the berries.
Stir in the honey until it dissolves.
If you’re looking for high quality elderberries, check out this organic variety from Maglo Naturals.