This scrumptious vegetarian chili recipe will really hit the spot on a cold afternoon. It’s fat-free and packed with amazing nutrients.
If you have been looking for a healthier chili recipe, this one is such a hit! It’s hearty, nurturing, and delicious.
Like most of my recipes, it’s super easy to make. The chopping is minimal, and it is simple to make in the Instant Pot. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, no worries, you can make it on the stovetop.
The most special thing about this recipe is how healthy it is. It is fat-free, corn-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and vegan. It makes for amazing leftovers (the flavors deepen), and you can even freeze leftovers too.
I use two types of beans in this vegetarian chili recipe – kidney beans and pinto beans. Also, I give instructions on three different options of cooking these – on the stovetop, in the Instant Pot, or using canned (not dry) beans.
Benefits of the Instant Pot
I highly recommend using an Instant Pot for this meal. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, check out my products page for my recommended model. (If you are cooking for more than 1 person, I recommend the 6-quart size.) The Instant Pot makes cooking so much easier and hands-off. You won’t burn anything. It’s a set it and forget it situation!
Pressure cooking also deepens the flavors, so you don’t need to use salt as much. The Instant Pot has been a super helpful addition to my kitchen. I use it almost every day! (Not sponsored, I just love my Instant Pot!)
- 1/2 cup dry kidney beans, cooked (or sub 1 can cooked beans)
- 1/2 cup dry pinto beans, cooked (or sub 1 can cooked beans)
- 2 cups water if using dry beans
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (preferably organic)
- 1 red pepper, chopped (preferably organic)
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped (preferably organic)
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (glass is best, if using canned choose an organic, BPA free variety)
- 1.5 Tbsp chili powder (add more if you like it bolder)
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (sub 2 tsp dried cilantro if you don’t have fresh)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced (optional for added kick!)